Think I'm just about ready

So tomorrow's the big day. I fly out of Logan at 12:15pm to Washington D.C., then on to Joburg. It's crazy that it's actually here, but it still won't seem real until I'm actually sitting on the plane. The past few days have been pretty intense working out all the final details. We had to change my ticket to return in 90 days since I can only get a 90 day visa when I arrive, then I'll apply for my 12 month work permit when I get there. We worked out insurance and I've settled most all of my accounts. My room is emptied of everything that I'm not taking with me. And my two heavy bags are waiting on my sleeping bag and pajamas before they're finally zipped for good. I was reminded of Gideon as I was realizing I wasn't going to fit everything into my bags. I took out a little bit and God said, no that's still too much. Took out some more, still too much, but I squeezed it down to the essentials, and still managed a few fun items.

The support from my church family has been overwhelming. From meeting kids for ice cream, dinner, or breakfast to being prayed over during the service this morning to a surprise going away party tonight, it's awesome having such a loving, supportive community around me. That's one thing I know I'll truly miss over the next year. So thank you all for the incredible encouragement you've been (and will be) to me. It has indeed been my joy. Thanks for all your prayers as I travel. Hopefully my next post will be from the other side of the world!

6 comments:

germaine said...

I know, I know... I'll see you in the morning... :)

you have no idea how happy I am that you were really surprised!! alright, you have some idea of my joy... but I so thought that you were going to figure it out... It was my PLEASURE to share my birthday with you... :)

Oh yes, and Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Happy Easter to you too!! (you forgot Happy President's Day, Woo-Hoo on the Super Bowl, Happy Black History Month and Happy St Patrick's Day) and yes, I am sure that we will talk before then...

I think I am doing pretty well... we'll see how tomorrow goes!
:)

Looking forward to June!! It will come as quickly as your departure...

Love ~G

Joe said...

Hey Mike,
i am bummed i missed out on some of the departure festivities...i suppose we had a Denny's breakfast before you left IN. i know you will most likely get this in air transit or when you get to Africa, so have a great trip and know that many will be praying for you and your success. God Bless.

germaine said...

Just in case people were wondering...

Mike arrived safely to the airport... a momentary baggage issue with a bit a shuffling and a charge of $100 as opposed to $970. His flight left on time & is currently in the air to DC (right now he is over New Jersey). I am praying that the bags make it with him... and the zippers on his backpack don't explode... :)

Love ~G

Rick Kardos said...

Hey Mike... blessings and prayers for safe andf reasonably on time travel! And more prayers for great support while you are gone. I will hit the blog often if i can just remember :-). Enjoy and God's Peace, Rick

Rick Kardos said...

Hey Mike... blessings and prayers for safe andf reasonably on time travel! And more prayers for great support while you are gone. I will hit the blog often if i can just remember :-). Enjoy and God's Peace, Rick

germaine said...

he's in the air. over the ocean... slight runway delay, took off at 5:58pm...

Love ~G

Post a Comment