Random Thoughts

Everything is decorated for the holidays like you would expect. There are Christmas lights on every street light in town. Fake evergreen trees covered in shiny balls can be found in all the malls. Santa even made an appearance, though he didn’t seem quite the same as a skinny, black man. It’s interesting seeing so many “American” traditions find their way into a Namibian Christmas, but then I was reminded that Christmas is largely an “American” holiday. Africans never celebrated it until the whites brought it here. It makes me wonder how the native Africans might have celebrated the birth of the Savior of the world if it hadn’t become so westernized.

~~~~~~~~

Part of being here for a whole year is experiencing everyday life in a different culture, and part of that everyday life that I’ve enjoyed the most is family life. The Morsbachs have taken me in like another son, having me join them for family picnics by the dam, family meals in the evening followed by some competitive Skip-Bo (Richard has become quite an addict by the way). I think they’re acceptance has helped smooth my transition to African normalcy.

I’ve come to think it’s the subtle, ordinary things that make a place feel like home. Every time you move you have to get used to little things, like a new bathroom or kitchen, where to shop for particular things, a new view from lying in your bed at night. Things like washing clothes and grocery shopping happen everywhere, but perhaps just a little differently than what you’re used to. It’s those little things that become comfortable, then they become habits, and before long it’s normal life. Hmmm…I wonder if there’s any correlation between that idea and how we as Christians make a home of this world.

~~~~~~~~

I’ve discovered ESPN broadcasts three games a week. The Sunday night game is on at 3am, but then they rebroadcast games at 4pm on Monday and Tuesday. I’ll have to make friends with people who get satellite TV so I can go watch some games. There is a new satellite network that carries FOX Sports, but it’s so new that nobody knows anybody who has it. Because it was a 1:00pm game this week, I got to follow online as the Patriots went 14-0 (for only the second time in NFL history), but that’ll only last so long. I do miss being a part of all the conversations and hype building up to the playoffs, so I really hope I can find a place to watch.

~~~~~~~~

Keep praying hard for my visa. We got a call from home affairs today and they told us that since I was applying for a whole year I should apply for a work permit rather than a volunteer visa. That was what I was going to do originally so I do have all the paper work, but it just means going through the whole process all over again.

7 comments:

germaine said...

so, do the lights actually light up on the tree that is on the way into town?? If so, you must take a picture... that tree makes me smile everytime I would go by it.

I am certain that there is correlation... but I will stay off the soapbox for now... :)

praying for you...

Love ~G

J. Roaf said...

I hope someday to be able to be a part of a different culture for a long period of time as you are getting to do now. Soak it up my friend...a year aint' what it was when we was young.

The Pats looked pretty rough on Sunday. Weather was a factor and that stunk as Brady got no TD's and I want him to get that record. He needs 5 in these last 2 games.

Miami won so that could be trouble. They are on a roll now!

jadongood said...

you are ridiculously right about the little things being home. i've moved 20 times in the past ten years (if you include college & camps, etc...). no wonder i can't feel stable!

good luck on that visa bro. paperwork is no fun. and enjoy your pats as i curse at my declining steelers.

*!Melissa!* said...

Mike!

Well it was great to hear from you at the youth group Christmas Party. havent heard your voice in awhile. i cant wait for the summer! it isnt coming quick enough!!!

Merry (early) Christmas.

Love Always
Melissa

Joe said...

mike,
glad to hear the lessons are comming even now! i am sure that God will be refining you over the next year, and you will either return and challenge our thinking in deeper ways than you have, or continue to provoke thought from where you are. can't wait to step up to the challenge...you know me. in fact you have inspired me to resurrect my own blog, check it out here if ya like.... http://catechizerscorner.blogspot.com/

germaine said...

ATTENTION!! WE'VE HAD A MOLE SIGHTING!!! At this moment he is evading us somewhere in the sanctuary... he went up on the stage by the drum set, I think he must be underneath the stage by now... MIKE! RUN OVER HERE WITH TOIVO... I have your shovel ready!!! TOIVO, DO NOT RIP YOUR SHIRT OFF, I REPEAT, DO NOT RIP YOUR SHIRT OFF!! IT'S TOO COLD OVER HERE!! :)

Love ~G

amanda s said...

yea its true... theres a mole at cca. i think his current hiding spot is in the kitchen.. i try not to go in there. haha his name is murray and he and i dont get along too well. but thats ok. merry christmas!!!

Post a Comment