Christmas in Africa

Apparently Christmas isn’t quite as big a deal here as it is in America, so Toivo didn’t quite understand my enthusiasm and countdown until midnight on Christmas Eve. We had a lovely Christmas Eve service at Nan’s house. I was expecting to play guitar for the children to sing a few songs since that’s what we had practiced together on Saturday, but here you can’t hold too tightly to your expectations. Instead Tresford gave a lovely reading of the Christmas story interspersed with a few songs, then we all shared refreshments afterward.

The next morning all the Hope’s Promise families and friends were caravanned out to the pool at the old Rossing Country Club. We swam, played soccer, and had a brai (an African barbeque or cookout), then I joined Brenda and Co. back at her place to exchange gifts. It was cool getting to know some of the Hope’s Promise kids that I didn’t know really well.

With so many American volunteers coming and going I wonder how attached these kids really get, knowing that we’ll leave again in a week. Probably not nearly as attached as we get to them. That’s why I think consistency and long-term relationship are so important to ministry. That’s why we don’t just support missionaries at Christ’s Church, we support partners. That’s why we’ve been back to Namibia summer after summer with many team members returning multiple times. That’s why I’m hoping to stay for a whole year. And that’s why being in Arandis for this week almost makes me want to stay here rather than return to Okahandja next week.

~~~~~~~~

I’ve been thinking about career missions and ministry in the States. Listening to Ron Gardner, pastor at Emmanuel Church in Windhoek, Dieter and Joan’s sending church, he puts a major emphasis on being called to Namibia because that’s their home. And I recognize that the people I best understand and can relate to are New Englanders, especially those who have grown up in church, mostly because that’s who I am. There’s so many more cultural barriers I have to work through to minister elsewhere, whereas my environment has already shaped me perfectly to minister in a church in New England.

Then I watch a film about Mother Theresa who lived with and ministered to the poorest of the poor on the streets of Calcutta, India. No one will convince me that the poorest of the poor live in Amherst, NH, not after what I’ve seen here, and what Mother Theresa dealt with in India. I recognize that over 95% of the world’s youth leaders work with only 5% of the worlds youth population in the United States, leaving only 5% of the world’s youth leaders to work with 95% of the world’s youth. I know that 50% of the Namibian population is under 15 years old. The parents of this generation are dying off because of AIDS leaving thousands of orphans and grandparents or relatives that remain raise 10-12 kids at a time. And Namibia’s not the only place in such rough shape.

But I’m also fully aware that it was Mother Theresa who said, “Calcutta’s are everywhere. You just have to find yours.” There is suffering and spiritual poverty in the rich world as well; you just have to open your eyes to it. So I continue pondering career missions or ministry in the States. Penny for your thoughts?

6 comments:

Darin said...

Thanks for the thought provocation and the Mother Theresa quote.

I've noticed that God has laid particular ministries on my heart as I 'go'. Whether it was the time I spent in Russia in the nineties, or the time I've spent in Namibia this decade, the time I spent in ministry in Florida, and here in New Hampshire - God has overwhelmed my heart for the people and the places where He has planted me in each season.

I suspect that is what happened in the heart of an Albanian born Catholic/Humanitarian when she arrived in Calcutta, India.

jadongood said...

i think i'm pickin up what you're puttin down. i'm definitely still mulling over where exactly it is that i'm supposed to be. where do i fit.

i just finished reading 'church on the others side' by mclaren and i really connected w/ it. i've tried to get away from being so involved in (or employed by) church, but God won't let me. but instead of being 'stuck' in the church i've grown up in i think God has been preparing me to help pioneer this church that mclaren is talking about. if you've read that book you'll probably get what i'm saying. if not, let me know and i'll do my best to put it out there for you.

well bro, glad your christmas went well. have fun beaching it up w/ some fireworks on nye!

germaine said...

I am sure that God brings us to places so that we fall in love with the people there and His creation that surrounds us. The way that God has orchestrated the circumstances in my life so that I am where I am today is a sure sign of that. The way that He has brought me through my past and brought me to places where I can minister to people which such similar circumstances gives me assurance that it wasn't all for nothing.

I heard a message a long time ago by a woman named Jackie Pullinger who was called to minister in Hong Kong amongst prostitutes and drug addicts. After 6 months little change had taken place and she was extremely discouraged. She prayed that God would help her to understand why she had been called there since she was having little affect. She then came to understand that although she was relaying the gospel she had not been loving them as they needed to be loved. She changed her approach and began feeding, providing healthcare and more... things changed so dramatically that even drug "lords" would protect her. Once she stepped out and started to live as Jesus lived... and love as Jesus loved people began to see their need for Him.

One of the biggest things that I took away was that people who heard her story kept asking her "Jackie, there are these people that need help in my neighborhood, city, town, country... could you...?" and her response was always "THEY'RE YOUR POOR!! God gave them to you!!" Sometimes people don't realize that if they see a situation is in need of change that they need to be that change... to quote Gandhi "Be the change that you want to see in the world."

I also often wonder what goes through the kids' minds as they see us prepare to leave them... again... They show us such unconditional love... and it always puts a smile on my face and a wrench in my heart when I hear them say "I'll see you next year"...

please give Toivo a big hug for me... :)

Love ~G

germaine said...

het 'n geseënd en gelukkig nuwe jaar!

is lief vir! ~G

sandi said...

Hi Michael!!
Happy New Year. I have enjoyed following along on your blog. SOunds like you are having an amazing adventure!! I love reading about your thoughts, realizations and observations about life in AF. I am so happy for you.....enjoy every minute of this journey and sleep when you get home.....oh wait, a year without sleep wouldn't be such a great idea ;) Your Pats are doing well but giving us heart failure along the way. Lots of snow here...feeling like we now live in Vermont, but it is beautiful, I must admit. Well, peace to you my friend and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers each day.
Sandi Dunks :)

dreamer said...

Jesus taught us how to forgive out of love, how to forget out of humility. So let us examine our hearts and see if there is any unforgiven hurt -- any unforgotten bitterness! It is easy to love those who are far away. It isn't always easy to love those who are right next to us. It is easier to offer food to the hungry than to answer the lonely suffering of someone who lacks love right in one’s own family. The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious ... and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world - Mother Theresa

Post a Comment