Christmastime Is Here

Friday morning I was suppose to catch the bus at 8:30am. It finally showed up at about 11:15 and we headed out on the 3 hour trek across the desert to the coast. Supposedly this was a luxury coach bus, but the air conditioning hardly blew out and every seat was booked so I was tightly seated with a friendly older woman who graciously shared the arm rest. With about an hour to go we pulled over and they shut off the engine. The fan belt had broken. But apparently that’s why they were late in the first place, because the same thing happened before, so they had brought an extra one. They finally dropped me off on the side of the main road outside Arandis and I caught a lift into town. The 2 ½ hour drive had turned into about 6 hours. As they say, TIA. This is Africa.

This weekend a Hopes Promise family from Rehoboth was being moved out to Arandis so all afternoon we helped clean and move furniture into the new house. That night Toivo and I slept over there to make sure nobody made any moves for all that nice stuff we were moving in. Franco reassured us that they had found lots of salt in the closets, a superstitious way to keep away evil spirits, so we should be safe.

It’s been a lot of fun hanging out with Toivo. I’ve missed his sense of humor and non-stop chatter. He’s also been helping me learn Afrikaans. I don’t think I’m much help for his studies, because I just want him to come out and about, but he’s been pretty dedicated to getting his exams done before the end of vacation.

Around town I’ve seen a few people I recognize from our trip this past summer. I saw a guy from the high school that we nicknamed ‘Professor’, Raymond - one of the dancers that Amanda was friends with, and one of the girls that came to our after school program that befriended Kat. It’s cool seeing the effects of our relationship building goals and having everyone here ask about the people they know from back home.

Monday night I’ll be playing some songs with Tresford for their children’s Christmas program. Then for Christmas I’ll be joining the Hope’s Promise family at Dolphin Park for a little celebration. Apparently you can’t reserve the place (it’s first come, first serve), so Roland’s going over the night before and camping out in his infamous Bobo camper to save the spot for us. It’ll be a little odd going to a pool on Christmas, but at least I have my Christmas tree scent from Jackie for a little fragrance from home. What are you all doing for Christmas?

12 comments:

jadongood said...

merry christmas chief!! sounds exciting. i'm going snowboarding today:) for xmas though, i'm stuck out here in WI. so i might bein doin the solitary thing. we'll see. i've had a couple invites

J. Roaf said...

My jealousy continues my friend. I love adventures like trekking across a country in a bus that breaks down. You are blessed.

Christmas will be pretty typical. The exchange of gifts, the complete and utter exclusion of Christ and his birth and the celebration it deserves.

There is the potential for indulging a selfish desire of attaining an X-box; for one reason and one reason only Mike...can you say Madden? Of course you can and that should give you sufficient motivation for returning to the States.

I'm pathetic.

Merry Christmas.

Don said...

Geseende Kersfees Mike.

What am I doing for Christmas? Likely wondering what it would be like to spend it at my southern home.

germaine said...

:) sounds like an adventure! sweet times...

It will be the 6pm CCA service for me, then a trek up to the Johnson's for their annual Christmas Eve party (I will be dragging Richard along with me + bonus...Benjamin & Marjolein are in town!!). Christmas Day will be spent sleeping in and then I will head over to the Mariany's for a yummy dinner.

brought Richard to Wal-Mart today, I told him that I was just going to follow him around... the trip was filled with lots of "Moi Man!" and me having to calculate everything into Nambian dollars for him and then him telling me that the cost is three times more in Namibia... followed by some whining... I am sad to say that Richard hearts Wal-Mart.... I have never been in the sporting goods section that long... next adventure will be the EMS outlet in Peterborough... followed by the bike shop in Milford... moi man...

Love ~G

dreamer said...

Well - I went sledding today and thought of you and sort of wished I could have been sledding in the dunes of Namibia...but I only had one face plant - ouch.

Mom and I will have christmas here and then the troops come over...which is bound to be a great time...then christmas with the neighbors and sleep...I have almost a whole week off...which I excited for...then again who wouldn't be.

I hope you Christmas is full of many memories...go PATS!

ps...no current Red Sox were on the Mitchell REport....lots of Yankees.

meegs

k said...

the professor and the bobo in one post. brings a smile to my face.

Jackie said...

Good Morning, Mike! Merry Christmas! My family and I celebrated on Christmas Eve the good old-fashioned French Canadian way...complete with salmon pie and pork pie! My Mom (79 years old) sang a racy song in French for us! First time she's ever done that! No more snow to report. It rained yesterday and was 52 degress at 12:30 in the morning! Helped clear away some of the road mess.

Hope you enjoy your day at the pool! And the 90 degree weather!

Love,
Jackie

Kathy said...

Mike - miss you here. Christmas music is great as usual here at CCA but I would have like to have heard you sing "Welcome to Our World." Also we sung your rendition of I Heard The Bells" and a fun one by Darin's nephew called Born to Me. Kids pageant was cute. I was wondering what you'd been experiencing as a contrast. You're missed! Merry Christmas!

Lisa Andreasen said...

Merry Christmas Mike!
In recent news here, Richard has braved the weather to hike in the woods with Jesse, learned how to use a shovel and snow blower, built his first snowman, and survived both the Taylor and Andreasen Christmases capped off by a dip in the hot tub and Indiana Jones in the Theater. No doubt a very strange and different CHristmas for him. We are enjoying seeing our life and culture through his eyes and having great conversations.

Let Joan and Dieter know that their son is in good hands, and is a blessing to us. :) Blessings!

Lisa Andreasen said...

P.S. Richard says it's DIA – 'Dis is Africa
pronounced Dease ease Ahfreeca :)

Jackie said...

We rode around the city of Manch Vegas for two hours tonight hoping to show Richard some beautiful Christmas Lights. We saw the best two houses in the first 15 minutes and that was it! After that, we pulled into King's Bowling Lanes for some impromptu GLOW BOWLING and G, Steph and I just had to let him win! He beat me by one pin! Haha! Reminded me of our mini-golf adventure this summer with the girls. No ice cream finish though. It's a little cold here for that now!

amanda s said...

omg you saw raymond?? tell him i said hi! :) hope you had an awesome christmas, miss you and toivo... <3amanda

Post a Comment