Sweet Sorrow

With the time change in the States, I’m now only 6 hours ahead of EST. After the first weekend of April when we change our clocks, it will only be 5 hours. For those trying to do the math and not adding up, it’s because we’re in 2 different hemispheres so we change in opposite directions. In the north it’s “spring ahead, fall back”. Down here, it’s “fall forward, spring back”.

~~~~~~~~

Today’s my last full day with Don & Jackie. I take them to the airport at about noon tomorrow to send them back to life in the States. It’s been great spending some time with them. They definitely bring an American sense of humor which has been fun to share. They also brought some tastes from home (Nutty Bars, Reeses Pieces, M&Ms, and such). But more importantly, they brought my first experience with hosting short-termers from home. They’ve helped restore my faith in short-term missions because there definitely is some value.

Short-termers bring an encouragement to long-termers by simply listening and getting excited with us about what we’re doing. Nothing increases ones joy more than sharing the thing that you love. Like recommending a good book, their love for the ministry brings a revitalizing joy. They also bring a renewed energy to the ministry. Where it often becomes everyday life for us, they realize they only have so much time and want to pack it full of opportunity. Just for now, I’ve associated myself with the long-termers only because I’m here longer than my visiting friends. However, I more than recognize even my year is very short term. The long-termers I’ve come to respect and love are those who’re committed to 10yrs, 20yrs, or a lifetime of service.

0 comments:

Post a Comment