Not Home Yet

I’ve been thinking a lot about home today. Don & Jackie have been talking about what they’re going home to. They said their goodbyes to everyone here, or at least ‘until next times’. I helped Jackie with her last minute shopping to find a few things she can’t get in the States. Then it was off to the airport. I’m always on the other side, saying goodbye to my Namibian friends and heading through customs. But this time was different. It was my turn to wave and watch as they headed down the departures hallway.

But I found I didn’t wish I was going with them. Instead I quite customarily checked the exchange rate before taking out some cash at the ATM. I pulled out onto the left side of the road like it was quite normal. Getting groceries at the Spar seemed quite natural. Namibian bills have become much more familiar than American ones. It’s funny because while they were here I melded right in and enjoyed the bit of ‘American culture’ they brought with them, but when they left and I stayed, everything felt strangely ordinary, like I’ve come to the place where I fit in here. That’s kinda scary in a way, but it kinda makes me smile. :)

To Don & Jackie: It’s been a blast! Thanks for your love, prayers, and encouragement. See you soon my friends, I’m telling you!

~~~~~~~~

For those that didn’t catch it in the comment section, I’m legal again. The agency I’m working through renewed my tourist visa while they continue working on the work permit. So I’m good for another 90 days. Thanks for your continued prayers!

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Sounds like things are going really well, it's great to hear the updates. I've been praying and will continue to pray for your time in Namibia.

Jackie said...

I got through customs just fine with all of that last minute shopping you helped me with! They asked, Do you have any food? I replied, I have snacks! Haha!

Hey! It was just 200 Namibian dollars worth of candy bars! Missing you!

Post a Comment