Lowering of the Flags

I had my first cultural eating experience today. (Don’t worry, it’s not as exciting as what’s to come.) When there’s a wedding, the families raise flags over their home to let everyone know, one to signify that they’re getting married and one to show that the bride has no children. Buddy and Julia were first married 8 months ago, but just in December went north for the traditional Oshivambo wedding with Julia’s family. So now that that’s over, today was the lowering of the flags ceremony. Looking forward to a cultural experience, I accepted the invitation to join them at Julia’s family’s house in Vyf Rand.

As is typical in Africa it was a whole afternoon affair. Julia is the 7th of 8 children, so add in friends and cousins and it was a full house. When we got to the lowering of the flags part, the ladies, wearing their traditional dresses, all danced and waved white flags over Buddy and Julia. They shouted, “Julia, you can go now,” indicating that now she’s married and will go make her own home. Then, also typical to Africa celebrations, came the food. We had rice covered with onions and tomato sauce with some chicken. I’ll admit I snickered inside when Buddy’s two American friends passed saying they’d just eaten and he and I both accepted a big bowl. When they found out I was single some of ladies started dancing around me waving the flags saying I could find an Oshivambo girl and be next. I politely declined saying Julia’s sister was too young for me. In the end I made out still single, with my stomach settled (for now), and with a much greater appreciation for good old African hospitality.

0 comments:

Post a Comment