Happy Groundhog Day!

I realized why they don’t have Groundhogs Day in Africa (besides the fact that they don’t have groundhogs; maybe it could be Mere Cats Day?). Anything that pokes its head up through a little hole will always see its shadow! Darn it all, six more weeks of summer. :(

Good times at Coffee Bar last night. Buddy’s American friends brought us some sweet new Ts for security to go along with our walkie talkies. Now we’re officially official. We had a bunch more people tonight and a couple little kids that were trying to sneak in (no under 13s allowed without a supervising adult) so the shirts did us well. I got schooled by Clinton in chess, but he was on the chess team at school and taught me his moves after he beat me, so I guess I’ll let it slide. I chatted with a couple guys, Tobias and Stevo, who knew more about the US Presidential race than I did. (Sorry, Darin. Fred 2012!) They’re sharp guys. It wouldn’t surprise me if Tobias ran for president here someday.

I’m looking forward to connecting up with my friend Castrow on Tuesday. I first met him when he joined one of our teams in 2002. I was just finishing Bible college and he was just starting so we had some good theological conversations. By 2006 he had graduated and returned to his home in the Caprivi Strip where our band, By Faith, went to play a show at his church. Now he works at a children’s center that runs Christian programs for young children during the week. I haven’t seen him in 3 ½ years so it’ll be good to reconnect and see what he’s up to these days.

~~~~~~~~

This Sunday night I’ll be joining millions of football fans around the world for the annual apex of football stardom, the social event of the year, the infamous Super Bowl party. Before I left the States I guaranteed that there must be someone on the entire continent of Africa watching the game and I would find them. As promised, I’ll be watching at the Capricorn lodge and restaurant, joining Lon and his friend, the owner, who is also an avid football fan. Not even a 1am kickoff could prevent me from watching my team go 19-0 for the first time in NFL history securing their place as the greatest team of all time. Meanwhile the other naysayers will be busting my chops trying to produce some thread of doubt to crack my unwavering confidence. I’m ready for some football!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment