Weekly Happenings

After a months time, it’s starting to feel like I actually live in Arandis and I’m not just visiting. I’m starting to remember the names that go with the faces I see every time I’m here. I’ve got all my walking routes down and random kids greet me by name.

Boniface escaping the cold Atlantic waters before the baptism service last SaturdayI don’t know that there is such a thing as routine here in Arandis, but if nothing comes up I typically spend some time in the library in the morning working on my curriculum project. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I go to Scripture Union during the break at the secondary school. Many of the kids ask about past team members and when they’re coming back. I love those connections that go beyond a short-term trip. In the afternoons I’ll hang out with some of the Hope’s Promise families, youth group kids, or teach some guitar lessons. And evenings are usually spent at church prayer meeting, Bible study or playing volleyball.

Next week I’m teaching for Scripture Union, so I’ll be working up 3 ten minute lessons. In a couple weeks I’ll be teaching on ‘Salvation’ at youth group. At first I wanted to pass and take a different topic, but lately I’ve become quite passionate about the truth of the gospel. There seems to be so much false or incomplete teaching when it comes to the gospel, but I think that might be a topic for another post. I’m also looking forward to an outreach in Grootfontein next weekend with some of the Arandis Christian Center youth. It’ll be a great opportunity to get to know those youth better and also to see a new place I’ve never been before.

So that’s a few of my happenings and upcoming events. How’s your schedule shaping up this mid-September?

2 comments:

jadongood said...

i'm jealous bro, your schedule seems almost completely relationship based. i'm working on my life schedule to be based like that too! i think i sent you the FB group invite to Small Things w/ Great Love. i'm pretty pumped about it trying to use that as a tool as i come in contact w/ people in mke who need tangible/material love in addition to relationship. we've started helping tony out and hopefully he sees Jesus through those who help/love him.

Anonymous said...

Mike-
I have joined with the teaching of some of the girls in my youth group- and we are tackling random subjects that come to mind. Last week we talked about the importance of sharing our faith - any chance we get...and that seemed to go over well. On a more personal note..I am teaching photography to 6 teens as well, and that is amazing. I am also keeping busy with senior pics and weddings this fall...

Post a Comment