Hitchhiker's guide to poverty culture

I took a day off and went in to Swakop today. It was great to spend some time alone and to get back behind my camera again. I took about 250 shots walking around town, visiting shops, watching kids play on the beach. It’s easy to take photos in Swakop because everyone’s used to tourists with cameras and the town is so photogenic. And I even ran into my friends Marcus & Jojo from Okahandja who were also taking a little weekend downtime, so that was a blessing.

I’ve frequently been asked about hitchhiking from people in the States who are a little leery or surprised or shocked. It always makes me smile because it’s just natural here. I suppose if America had more people without cars than with then hitchhiking would be more common there too. It got me thinking about how much of poverty culture is shaped by necessity. It’s understood that those who have help those who don’t. This concept is largely lost in an individualized, materialistic, self-propagating culture. Everyone looks out for number one and doesn’t even notice the needs of others. Perhaps our culture would be more shaped by necessity if we were a little more aware of the needs of those around us.

3 comments:

germaine said...

my mom would always pick up hitchhikers, which would freak me out because of all the psycho killer stories I've heard... but I would never be afraid to hitch a ride in Namibia... if I had a guy with me.

so cool that you ran into Marcus & Jojo... it was great meeting them this summer... eh, winter ;)

Love ~G

Jesse said...

amen, thanks for the thought on us not being aware of people's needs. I think part of the problem is ignorance, part selfishness, and part of it is not even understanding how simple it can be to help (something we think its so difficult).
I've hitch hiked once, at Soul Fest many years ago with Micah Deu from the hotel a few miles away to the festival. The people that picked us up were going there as well. A couple of preacher's daughters I think. ON the flip side I heard of someone else, a guy, hitching a ride at soul fest that year or the year before and getting molested, so its hard to know who to trust. But I wouldn't have a problem doing it in Namibia I don't think. COol you ran into Marcus and JoJo.

Jackie said...

My Pastor won't let me hitchhike in Namibia. But, I would if I were there with you! : )

Post a Comment