At the sound of the horn, flute, zither, lyre, harp, pipes, and other musical instruments

In Scripture Union this week I’ve been teaching on Daniel. I only have 15 minutes so it forces me to be succinct and to the point. We’re looking at what it means to take responsibility for your own spiritual growth. Oftentimes students expect that going to church or Bible study will automatically make them good followers of Jesus. I keep reminding them that Boniface and I won’t be knocking on the window when they’re with their boy/girlfriend just to check in. Ultimately it’s their choice whether to serve God or whatever other gods the world sends their way.

Daniel and his three friends offer some great examples for us as they choose to go against the flow to serve God. Their unswerving commitment is impressive, if not inspiring. I love their response to Nebuchadnezzar, one of my favorite in all Scripture, “We know God is able to save us, but even if He doesn’t we still won’t bow to your statue.” Their courage stood not on a guaranteed salvation, but on the character of their God. Outstanding!

~~~~~~~~

This Friday afternoon I’ll join a group of the youth from our church along with some youth from a church in Swakop on an outreach to the town of Grootfontein. It sounds like we’ll mostly be doing street evangelism and evening programs. Fabiola has encouraged us to pray hard because this area is covered in a great spiritual darkness. So please be in prayer for our group this weekend, for protection in traveling, provision for all our needs, openness and receptivity in the community, and good conversations among the team.

Along with the prayer items, I received an encouraging praise note today. Fabiola, Pastor Banda’s wife, has been going through tests for ongoing health problems. Lately she’s felt much better so today’s tests were more for reassurance and just to check. She writes, “Praise God! The doctor was really looking for cancer in his speech and actions and did a mammogram and sonar. God is good; nothing was found, no abnormalities!” Thanks for your continued prayers and support.

3 comments:

jadongood said...

"Their courage stood not on a guaranteed salvation, but on the character of their God." - that is ridiculously awesome

Lisa Andreasen said...

praise God for Fabiola's good test results!

I love the story of the firey furnace. It is inspiring. On a lighter note: It makes me thin k of shad, rack, and benny. "The bunny, the bunny, oh I love the bunny..." :)

Anonymous said...

Hey!

That's one of my favorite passages of all time; for exactly the reasons you stated; their faith was resolute regardless of the outcome...so often I forget that very thing. One of the most pivotal messages I ever heard was a sermon on the fiery furnace by Jerry Savelle called The Fourth Man...it blew my socks off & changed how I viewed faith & compromise as a very young child of 11 or 12 & has stayed with me all of these years!
Have a blast at the outreach & what a wonderful praise report; we just had a similar praise report at prayer on Tuesday about a woman finding her inoperable cancer was gone!!!

In His Grip,

Sonya :)

Post a Comment