Welcome to Arandis

Arandis is a small mining community about 65km inland from the coastal city of Swakopmund. The town was originally built for the employees of Rossing Mine, the fifth largest producer of uranium in the world. Today most of the town's 5000 occupants are still somehow connected to the mine. Arandis is also home to Namibian Institute of Mining and Technology (NIMT), Arandis Christian Center, and Hope’s Promise Orphan Ministries.

I first came to Arandis as a driver for the dance team in 2005 and have been back with teams every summer since. Pastor Tresford Banda and his family have become dear friends and have an inspiring vision to see God move in this community. In my many visits this year I’ve also gotten to know many of the youth through the church and the school. Much of my ministry here will be partnering with Boniface who leads the youth ministry at the church and Scripture Union, which is a Bible club at the secondary school.

Lately I’ve been involved in planning for youth group this next term and an outreach we’ll be having next week with some Windhoek youth. In the mornings I’ve found the library a nice place to do some studying as well as meet new people. I love the community aspect of walking around town. People around the neighborhood already know where I live and greet me by name. But it’s been less than a week, so I still do feel very much an outsider. I’m wondering how long it takes for that to wear off.

0 comments:

Post a Comment