Marta

The three girls were quite patient and mostly attentive in the hot sun as Eddie and I spoke with them for over an hour concerning the Holy Spirit, hell, Christ on the cross, whether ‘born agains’ could drink or have boyfriends, and whatever other questions came to their minds. We presented God’s good news as clearly as we could and it seemed to me that they understood it. Marta and Sarah both followed Eddie in a prayer to express their belief, while Lucia said she would pray by herself when she got home. We parted ways leaving them with an invite to church on Sunday.

This morning I was excited to see Marta across the room at church, but she split before I could chat with her. I was even more excited to see her at youth group this evening where I could catch up with her. As we shared around the circle about our experiences this week she told us a bit of her story.

She had been involved in a church and in Scripture Union (SU) with Boniface, so she knew some of the other girls in the room. But her father didn’t approve of her religious activities, so she soon began losing interest and started believing some of the lies of the world. Then lately she had just started going back to SU and was feeling like she needed to become born again. That’s when Providence sent her walking past Eddie and me.

It's stories like Marta's that remind a cynic like me that some of the professions of faith are real and that God's been working in people's lives long before I got there and will continue long after I go. Some do the planting, some the watering, but God causes the growth.

I pray that Marta continues coming to youth group and SU where she can grow in understanding and be encouraged by other followers of Christ her own age. I pray that she will be a light to her family and that her father won’t kick her out of the house because of her decision to follow Christ. And I continue to pray for her two friends, Lucia and Sarah, that God will take that seed that was planted and bring it to fruition.

1 comments:

Lisa Andreasen said...

Hey Mike,
Praise the Lord for his mysterious ways and all that he orchestrates in our lives to draw us to Him. I will pray for the Lord's blessing and calling upon Marta. I can hardly imagine how difficult it would be to have the threat of losing her home and family over her faith!

Sorry I haven't been commenting much lately, but I have read every post and have continued to be encouraged and challenged by the things you have shared. Our youth group kick off party was great tonight. We took over the Andreasen "resort" and enjoyed basketball, swimming and the fire pit, and the kids were great. Gwen has proclaimed that she is the president of youth group and Kayleen wants to be the first lady. If you get a chance, ask Gwen about the newly established youth group chastity police.

we'll keep you posted on the happenings and look forward to your return in a couple months.

blessings.

Post a Comment