Shadows over Chinatown

After hearing Buddy and Julia talk up Chinatown for so long I was pretty excited to go, but little did we know how it would shape the rest of our day. The shopping part was actually pretty cool, sketchy little shops crammed full of mass produces knick-knacks. I found myself a can opener for less than half of what I would normally pay and Buddy found a cool Airsoft gun to shoot the annoying birds that always wake him up early in the morning. On our way out a woman walked up to us with the dreaded news. Buddy ran ahead to see if she was right. I walked with Julia praying the whole way that she was mistaken.

As I came around the corner, Buddy was in the midst of a small crowd looking astonished at the two smashed out windows on the passenger side of the car. They had taken Julia's bag out of the front seat and Buddy's laptop bag out of the back, but by the grace of God there lay mine on the floor underneath my sweatshirt. Fortunately Buddy was on his way to pick up their laptop from the service department so it wasn't in the bag at the time, but still that's no consolation. They lost their camera with all of July's pictures, both their Bibles, Julia's ID and bank cards, and all their computer cables among other things. We spent the rest of what was suppose to be a relaxing day running around to the police station, insurance company, and other stores collecting quotes for what had been stolen. We finally slowed down over some KFC at Todd and Erin's house, some other missionary friends in Windhoek. Then they helped us bag up the windows for the long ride home.

It definitely was not quite the day we had in mind, but it all goes back to what I've said before about the sovereignty of God. If we really believe God is sovereign, we must believe that He's in control of these circumstances. And if I believe God loves and cares for His children then I must believe there's more to this than broken windows and stolen bags. Afterall, who knows where those Bibles will end up. Please keep Buddy and Julia in your prayers, that their insurance company will cover everything, that they can get the car windows fixed promptly, and that this trying of their faith will produce perseverance.

And thanks to all for the birthday wishes.

1 comments:

germaine said...

oh my... when you were talking about circumstances... I didn't think this was what you meant... God is sovereign... & I have you all in my prayers... I also have some things to tell you about what kind of day today was, but I will save that for real conversation... sounds like more of an annoying birthday than a happy one...

Love ~G

Post a Comment