Asanias (Mariental Part 2)

Bringing in a truckload of kids for the children's ministry program

Saturday morning you could feel the excitement and anticipation of the day’s outreach. There were only about 15-20 girls who came for volleyball since most had to stay home and do their chores, so they were only using one of the two nets we set up. I noticed a few guys sitting, watching the soccer clinic, so I went over to see why. Their names were Asanias and Gino and they didn’t really like soccer but would rather play volleyball. So we decided to use the free net for a guys volleyball clinic. By the end we had about 8 guys altogether, including Andreas and his cousin Chrisly.

I taught some fundamentals then we started to play around a bit. We took a break halfway through to explain who we were and why we were there. I told them how there was nothing they could do to earn God’s acceptance, and that Christ’s death on the cross paid the penalty that we deserved. I shared a little of my story, and Chris Johannes, my partner, shared a little of his story. Asanias was particularly attentive, but it was Chrisly who raised his hand when we asked if anyone was interested in accepting Christ right then.

At the evening session, we couldn’t get my guitar working so I was sulking again at how useless it felt to be there, but forcing myself not to let that ruin what God had for me, I went down to help with the counseling after the altar call. As I was walking around helping hand out Bibles I saw one of the older teens from our group talking to Asanias. That morning he had said he would come back for the session but I had forgotten to look for him. When I caught him afterward he told me, “I took Jesus. I’m free today.” Praise the Lord!

I got to chat with Asanias one last time when he stopped by our compound Sunday night while we were waiting to leave for Windhoek. It’s not my job to know how sincere people are in their hearts, but it is my responsibility to sow the seed. I showed Asanias that there was at least one person who loved him enough to come all the way from America to hang out and play some volleyball and share the gospel with him. I may never know where that seed ends up, but that was never my job in the first place. Our job is simply to share the message. It’s God that changes people’s lives.

If you think of it, say a prayer for Asanias as he goes back to his drunk parents and friends that encourage him to steal. He has an uphill battle ahead of him, but with God all things are possible.

1 comments:

germaine said...

that's so sweet mike!! and you will know... one day you will know... :)

still praying for you and all that cross your path.

Love ~G

Post a Comment