It is more blessed to give than receive

Last Sunday I brought my guitar along to The Grace and The Glory Community Church. They have no musical accompaniment unless someone feels like drumming that morning, so it was quite refreshing to those who have missed it, not to mention fun for me as it is my only real musical outlet.

On Monday, Buddy had to go pick up some friends from the airport so I led Bible Study at the school all on my own. We went through Mark 10 where Jesus says we need to come with “faith like a child” but the rich young ruler tried to come with what he could do. He ended up loving his riches more than God which breaks the very first commandment, so he really wasn’t as righteous as he thought. That was a good one to start with because I could preach that passage all day. Though I must say, it was interesting teaching about the futility of riches to those that have very little. It’s easy to teach to materialistic Americans because their idolatry is obvious, but even Africans can put the little material possessions they have or desire before God. The best part was on Wednesday when Buddy came back and did some review questions, they remembered it all wonderfully. Even I was impressed.

Thursday morning’s Bible Study is kinda cool. We meet under a tree behind the woodcarvers market. Aside from the loud trucks that drive by, it reminds me of Paul when he went to Philipi. They worshiped on the Sabbath down by the riverbank. We’re actually studying through Paul’s letter to the Romans. This study started with one guy, Tiago, and Buddy just chatting about spiritual things. After a couple weeks of his questions they decided to study verse by verse through the book of John. Soon other people started joining in and they continued from John right into Acts and on into Romans where we are today. Paul’s message of salvation by faith alone and not by works of the law is very potent in a culture where everyone goes to church but very few understand that truth.

~~~~~~~~

The Ark is an orphanage in town started by some volunteers with Youth For Christ back in the early 90s. Over the years they’ve had many kids come and go, but today they have 14 kids living with two house parents, Lazarus and Leila, and a couple volunteers. The volunteers they get stay for sometimes a month or up to a year and they’re mostly all female, so Lazarus was pretty excited when a guy showed up asking how he could help. I’ve known a few of the kids that live at the Ark from past trips, but it’s been cool getting to know the rest of them. It’s also good being a more consistent face in their lives instead of just showing up for 2 weeks once a year. Now I see many of them at church and at the coffee bar on Fridays as well as hanging out in the afternoons. Sometimes I just play games with them or sit and chat. Sometimes I help them with their homework (except Afrikaans, then they help me). But mostly I’m just there to be God’s vessel to show His love to them.

2 comments:

germaine said...

this post just brought tears to my eyes and I am not sure which part struck me most... praise God for their desire to learn and I am so happy that you are able to spend time at the Ark... :) you know how much my heart breaks for them...

Love ~G

Anonymous said...

Mike this is my new blog , got rid of xanga ! I hope to hear from you sometime
- Tiffany

http://unpublishedwords.wordpress.com/

Post a Comment