Two Different Worlds

I’ve spent two weeks saying not much has changed, but as the novelty of being home begins to wear off I’m starting to see those things that are very different. And not necessarily different than when I left, but perhaps I just see them differently because I left. Things as subtle as conversations, what people talk about, how much they talk, expressions people use; it’s not things you’ll notice after a two week short term trip, more like things I would expect an African to notice. Every time I shake someone’s hand I want to do our three-part Namibian handshake. I feel offended when I haven’t greeted someone at an event (yes, you read that right and it is quite intriguing). The appeal and temptation to spend money frivolously here is to the point of overwhelming. Spending money isn’t an event; it’s just a natural part of life. I’m beginning to realize that I’ve gone way beyond getting annoyed or even frustrated at cultural differences. I’ve gotten to where I think far differently about things like money and relational living. Dallas Willard describes culture as what you think and do without thinking about thinking or doing it. If that’s true, then after a year Africa has left a far bigger imprint on me than I probably realize, definitely more than a little dust in the blood.

~~~~~~~~

As a sidenote, for those who are concerned that I use the term Africa far too generically, especially seeing as Namibia is the only African country where I’ve ever been outside the airport, please consider this. While yes, Africa is a continent, most Africans I’ve met from whatever country take pride in identifying with Africa, much like residents of our 50 states identify themselves with our country, the United States. We even go so far as to call our country ‘America’ when in actuality that is the name of our continent. Much of Africa shares a common heritage in tribal living, colonialization, and racial oppression. The struggles with war, poverty, and disease have left no country unscathed. With their shared culture, history, and crises it’s no surprise Africa has forged for itself an identity that somewhat resembles how we Westerners would think of a country.

5 comments:

jadongood said...

i'm definitely intrigued by your musings. i would have to say that i'm jealous because of your shift in thinking.

you look in to marquette any more?

John F said...

can't wait to talk about this sometime when we get to see you next!

Jackie said...

Just what I was thinking also. Can't wait to talk to you more about the money concept. Perhaps over that lunch date! Soon!

Anna said...

Glad I found your blog! I can sort of relate. I remember getting back to the States after a 6 week mission trip to Togo and looking at and thinking through things I had never thought through or looked at before. I felt like I was looking at US culture from the outside. Of course, I was only there for 6 weeks, so I cannot even imagine a whole year!

Kenya Safari said...

Its funny the way you put it that Namibia is the only African country where u've been outside the airport.

Post a Comment