Full Circle

Sitting back at my old desk at Dieter and Joan’s it’s finally hitting home that I’m leaving in less than a week. Yesterday I said all my last goodbyes to my Arandis family and handed out all my picture CDs and parting gifts. Then this morning the rest of the commune (Tom, Peter, and Mike) woke up early to see me off. We squeezed all my stuff into Brenda’s little car and set off for Okahandja.

This is where it all started for me. I vividly remember walking up to this little house for the first time excited that this would be my new home for the next year. I remember unpacking and making myself at home, taking long walks around the plot with my camera.

This time around the flood of emotion is far different. I don’t even know how to put it into words to describe for you. It’s like I’ve come to the end of my adventure, and now I’m on the long journey home. The climax has come and gone, and this week is the resolution. I know life comes in seasons, and this one’s coming to a close. But right now it feels more like it’s turning into winter than spring. I pray this last week will help me to debrief my time here and start to set my mind on going home.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

We are all anxiously awaiting your return, MikeKnight! I'm sure you have blessed our friends in Namibia more than you'll ever know. This was just ONE season. Much Love and Endless Prayers! See you soon! XOXO

Laura Siegrist said...

wow, i can't believe it's been a year! i can't imagine how hard it must be for you saying all those goodbyes. i will pray for you this week as you transition and come home. i hope that we will get to see you soon though!

jadongood said...

mike you rock. if you need people to help you process or even just to listen once you're back - hit me up!

germaine said...

hey mike!
I am praying for you... it's so tough after just a few weeks... I can not imagine what you are feeling right now. just remember you have plenty of listening ears back home... and although you may feel a bit at a loss, we are anxiously awaiting your return!

Love ~G

Post a Comment