One month from today

One month from today I’ll be breathing in the cool autumn air of a New England November day. At 6am I’ll have been awake for hours slowly trying to readjust my internal body clock from the jet lag. I went back and read my blog post from January 4th, a month from my arrival here in Namibia. It’s amazing to think how far I’ve come since then. But once again my thoughts are turned toward home, only rather than missing what I left behind, I’m wondering what I’ll find when I get there.

People continue to ask me if now that I’ve been here a year, am I more inclined to stay? Will I even want to go back? With that departure date looming like a lengthening shadow in the back of my mind, I’m beginning to realize how much of my heart I will leave behind. During a two-week short term trip you learn a few people’s names and leave a photo for them to remember you by. After a year, you learn people’s stories, you experience life together, you walk with them through hurts, rejoice with them in triumphs, and leave a piece of your heart behind. I think that’s what Paul’s getting at when he writes, “We loved you so much that we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well, because you had become so dear to us.”

~~~~~~~~

Since the very beginning I’ve been asking you to pray about my visa situation. I haven’t mentioned anything about it in a while because it hasn’t really moved in a while. But just this week Sylvia Beukes, the National Director for Hope’s Promise, met with Quatro on my behalf, our connection in Immigration who I’d faxed my application to. He reassured her that he would handle it, but was wondering if we might have access to a laptop for him. Gotta love it! And not only that, but if I were to get deported, he’s the guy who would come pick me up, so nothing to worry about. Please continue praying, because while his reassurance is comforting, it’s not something I can stamp in my passport.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike - I can't believe you have been there almost a year, and to see where God has brought you in the past twelve months has been amazing. Following your journey has helped me to be more active in my prayer life and more intune with the needs for mission work all around the world - I often find myself saying - "my friend Mike, who is in Namibia..." and using a story from your blog - and seeing teens and adults smile with gratification over how awesome God is - I can say I am excited to see you here- and so that is a little bit jealous of me. I hope your last month is a memorable one, and God conitnue to use you in the lives of so many people.

germaine said...

just to let you know I have heard many times in the past week from a few of the kids "is mike ever coming back???" & the moment I tell them "yes, in a month" the reaction is the same... the look on their faces turn from somber to a huge smile as they say "REALLY!?!?!?!"

Love ~G

Joe said...

Mike, i have so love having your blog as one of my home pages and being able to "connect" with you even though we can't chat in person. Thanks for continually sharing your heart and leading others to Christ with your words and thoughts. i am so looking forward to getting together and having some coffee with you (alright hot chocolate for you) and catching up again. talk with you soon. safe journey.

Buddy and Julia Bahun said...

You are right on with that passage...right on! It is hard to believe it has been a year already, but we know that although you will be leaving us soon...We will see you again when you come back. We will be here.

Jackie said...

Thinking of you and praying for you, MikeKnight. Your Number #1 Fan is anxiously awaiting your return!!! :)

Post a Comment