Weekend highlights

I finally met Steve and Karrie Graham. They are missionaries with African Inland Missions helping out with Hope’s Promise in Arandis. During the school holiday they’ve been running a day camp so I volunteered to help out Friday and Monday.

Friday night was Scrabble night at Nan’s house. Pardon the momentary boasting, but I beat Mike Dunne (the latest Hope’s Promise full-timer in Arandis from Missionary Ventures) and Nan, 197 to 162 to 97. Usually age is directly proportional to how good you are at Scrabble…but not this time. ;)

On Saturday afternoon, Mike and I went out to Spitzkoppe with some of the older Hope’s Promise kids, Jessica, Daniel, Charmaine, Bradley, Salome, and Elaine. I didn’t realize how cool that place is! I thought it was just a mountain to climb up and see the view, but instead I found a photographer’s heaven! I took almost 250 pictures in just one afternoon. Thank God it’s digital and not film. :) You can see some of them over on my Flickr site.

Speaking of thanking God, cool story…from high on one of the rock hills I dropped my lens cap. I cried inside as I watched it bounce down the steep rock and disappear beyond my view. As the kids climbed down to start looking, I started praying. If God cared enough to help me find my Patriots shirt, then why not my lens cap. I joined the search and was about to give up resigning it to its fate among the rocks, when I saw one last crevice to check…and sure enough, there it lay. And there was much rejoicing.

For the first time in five months I helped lead worship at Christ’s Church. On Sunday afternoon, Tresford and I called into the service via Skype to help lead the congregation in Amazing Grace. It was great to have a taste of home and help share in the incredible vision of the international Body of Christ. Monday night I stayed up until 2:15am to do it again, teaching the lesson for youth group at Christ’s Church. It was great seeing everybody and “hanging out” through the computer screen. (Thanks for staying after and chatting. I miss all you guys!)

1 comments:

germaine said...

and I did notice that's the shirt you were wearing Monday night... :) and praise God that what may seem like an "insignificant prayer" to one has meaning to Him...

man, I love when technology works! everyone has been raving & was so excited that you were able to join us... (did you hear cullen??? we should do this every week!!) It was like you were in the room... which you pretty much were, because it was pretty much life-sized mike!!

Love ~G

Post a Comment