Happy Ascension Day

Late yesterday afternoon Joan said to me, “Hey, if you’d like a lift to Swakop, we’re leaving in about 20 minutes.” I don’t think I’ve cleaned up and packed so quickly in my life. Being school vacation, things are pretty slow for our ministries in Okahandja. I’d been planning to come out to Arandis for the weekend, but wasn’t sure about the how and when. So what a welcome surprise Joan’s invitation was!

Since being here over Christmas and back in March with Don & Jackie, I’ve gotten to know the Hope’s Promise kids so much better. I had so much fun visiting with Cassie’s family and having the kids remember my name and welcome me with a hug. We played some cards and South African Monopoly. The best part about living vicariously through other people’s children is I can have all the fun, but don’t have to deal with all the discipline. :) The downside is at the end of the day, I leave.

In the afternoon I helped Roland (a German volunteer) with teaching the kids some gymnastics. No, I didn’t do the splits and flips. I mostly just helped hold legs up in the air for handstands and such. Afterward I walked some of the younger girls home along with Elaine and Salome. I never knew those two could be so talkative!

The more I get to know these kids, the harder it is when it comes time to leave. Literally the first question everyone asks me is ‘how long are you staying’ or ‘when are you leaving’. I’ve said it before, but it breaks my heart to be just another one of those people that comes and goes. I wish I could be stability for these kids…but that’s not where God’s called me right now. That’s why families are so important. That’s why the Hope’s Promise system of foster families rather than more children’s homes is so important. But that’s a topic for another post.

3 comments:

germaine said...

HA!! Man, I tell ya... you did get out of dodge just in time. there may be plenty of disciplinary action for you in 6 more months... I am praying that there isn't, but at the rate we are going... :) plus... you'll be back just in time for snowball... uhhh... iceball season... ;)

Love ~G

Jackie said...

Mike,
So glad you finally got over to Arandis for a visit! You packed up so fast...did you remember to throw the bread in the frig? Haha! Everyone must be so happy to see you! Did Kassie cry? Did Pearly run? I miss them so much! Give everyone my love! I can't wait to see everybody in NINE weeks! : )

Lisa Andreasen said...

Per G's comment, do you think you'll be able to handle snow after so many months of sand? ;) I know I haven't commented much lately but Jesse and I are still following along and praying for you. Bummer I missed the service this morning, but a migraine wiped me out on my butt!

Post a Comment